Sunday, August 23, 2015

08.15.15

Hey everybody!

I hope that everybody is well!  I'm glad to hear that everything is working out with the wedding, it sounds like the house will be looking really good for that day.  Send some pictures!  Also, I hope the best for Nate, from the sounds of it he's got a great surgeon!  I hope the best and the family is in my prayers!  Take one day at a time and the Lord will work the miracles.

This week was great!  A pretty normal week as far as the office goes.  President told us this week that we are going to stay in the office a while longer to help him make the desired changes to the mission.  So from the sounds of things, we will be here at least through November haha.  We are about to finish our fifth change here already, so a couple more won't hurt.  It has been really interesting to see the changes that have happened in the mission, and to be able to see different points of view on things.  My testimony is strengthened of our leaders that are truly called of God. I can see how President Wilkinson was called to help grow the work in Costa Rica during a certain time, and how equally President Hayes was called for this time.  It is all the same great work, but the way that it is done can vary.  I feel very fortunate to have a front row seat to see the Lord prepare and hasten His work in this country.

Each time that we meet with President Hayes, he allows us to ask him whatever question we have about the scriptures.  Let me just say that these moments have left me speechless on several occasions.  I mean, this man knows the scriptures like the palm of his hand.  We could ask a question and he knows references to talks, other scriptures, etc.  For example, last week the question came up about how it was possible that the Lamanites knew not that they received the gift of the Holy Ghost as stated in 3 Nephi 9:20  "And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost, even as the Lamanites, because of their faith in me at the time of their conversion, were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not."  He explained using all sorts of scriptures and talks.  Several times he tells us to go to a chapter in the scriptures then he says "okay, you will find you answer in the second column about half way down."  He's got the scriptures memorized!  It is really amazing to be able to talk with him and learn from his great knowledge of the scriptures.  My testimony is constantly strengthened.  I have seen my love for the scriptures deepen greatly on the mission.  Truly, they are the word of God and the treasures inside are endless.  One of the goals that the mission now has is to have at least one spiritual experience in the Book of Mormon in each lesson.  By teaching this way, our investigators will become more converted to the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and the retention of new members will go up.

This week my companion and I began to work in a new part of our area that we haven't worked too much in before.  It is called Barrio Lujan and it borders San José central.  We went down there to contact a reference and we found that it is a gold mine.  We never realized how many inactive families lived out there.  We are excited because like Elder Duncan said, "for missionaries, the more less actives the better.. lots of work to be done."  

I love my Heavenly Father and the opportunities that he is giving me to learn and to grow.  This truly is the greatest experience of a lifetime.

Elder Nelson

Mi amigo mexicano siempre me decía "Si mejoramos nuestra enseñanza, mejoraremos nuestros resultados."

No comments:

Post a Comment