Monday, June 22, 2015

06/20/15 Sarchi

Hey everybody!

How is everybody?!  I hope all is well on the home front and that everyone is doing well.  It sounds like Karli is in town this weekend.  That will be fun to spend some time together while Dad is with Conner in Houston.  The family is all over the place.  That is fun!  Everybody is growing up and moving around.  I don't know how I feel about that haha.  

This week was great in the office.  Elder Kepo'o has been picking things up really fast, so I now have time to do other projects in the office that need to be done.  Also, we are preparing for a busy week ahead.  The mission has a final conference as a mission on Tuesday.  This will be the last time that the Costa Rica San Jose Mission will be together as a mission.  President is now counting his days on his hands and we are preparing the arrivals of two new presidents.  In this last mission conference the mission will be split, and it will be the last time that many of the missionaries will see each other.  It looks like Elder Mejia, my trainer, will be in the other mission.  He is a Zone Leader in Alajuela so it looks like he will be split off.  We learned a lot together and he is my buddy.  Also, President will be teaching the mission for the last time, and from the sounds of it he will be bringing the house.  I starting to prepare spiritually for that meeting so that I can learn the things that the Lord would have me learn.  President will bear a last testimony as our mission president, and the room is sure to be full of emotions. 

On Monday there will be a pancake breakfast in the office for all of the zones that reached their baptism goals last month.  There are going to be 75 missionaries in here and we went and bought a lot of food to fill them up.

Today we were able to go to Sarchí with the Burts.  It is a cool little town in the mountains of Costa Rica.  It is known as the "city of art" of the country.  What really surprised me was how much art Romero Britto had all over the place. I was feeling like a connoisseur of art while explaining to my companion about Romero Britto and his art style haha.  But in Sarchí is were you find all of the typical Costa Rican wood workings and a lot of the culture.  They have some awesome painted ox carts and rocking chairs.  It's just a quirky little place and it was really fun to go.  It is a place that I'm going to have to take you to someday to check it out. 

This week we were able to reestablish contact with a family that we haven't been able to teach for a while.  We started to teach the parents when the mother started to break down.  The family has been passing through a tough time and the parents are set on getting a divorce.  The mother and daughters committed to come with us to church this week, and we are still working on the father. Teaching this family has helped me to be grateful for the home that I grew up in and the influence that the gospel can have on a family.  I know that true joy in a family comes through living the gospel, and it also brings peace and understanding to our lives as we learn and grow together.  

Have a great week!

Elder Nelson

P.S.  Happy Father's Day dad!!  You are the best there is!

Mi amigo Mexicano siempre me decía "Los dos se llaman elder?  Son hermanos?"

No comments:

Post a Comment