Monday, August 4, 2014

7/29/14 The Arizona Life!

Hello everybody!!
 
Hope everything is well back home!  That is so crazy that you are already leaving to pick up Conner!  He has been such an amazing missionary and I love him so much.  I am so lucky to have such a great family!  I can't even believe it.  I am blessed.
 
So this week I arrived in Arizona! I love it here.  I arrived on Tuesday and we went through a lot of training.  We ate a lot of good food and spent the night at the house of a member that lives in Gilbert.  They sent me to one of the member's houses with an elder from Uruguay.  He will be serving in the English part of the mission, but he is still learning so they had me translate for him a lot.  Boy is that Spanish from Uruguay different!  I don't know how Grandpa did it on his mission haha.  The member that we stayed with lived on his own little farm.  It was pretty cool!  He has chickens and grows a bunch of fruit that I don't normally see. 
 
The next day we had our transfer meeting and I met my new companion!  His name is Elder Sievers and he is the man!  He is from Orem and is a funny guy. He is showing me the ropes of the mission and is great.  He lets me take the lead in lessons and make the committments.  We are super busy and I love it that way!  We always have people to see and lessons to teach. We are having great success.  
 
Let me tell you a bit about the mission.  The Arizona Gilbert Misson is an experiment by the church.  It is super small geographically and has a lot of missionaries.  For example, the ward that I am serving in has 10 missionaries!  It's crazy.  It's not a problem for Elder Sievers and I because we are the only Spanish speaking missionaries in the area, but the other missionaries have an interesting situation haha.  We are really lucky to be in the area that we are in also.  We are serving in the city of Florence which reminds me of what you would see in an old western movie.  It looks really old school and is in the middle of the desert. We live in a house about 15 minutes from Florence and drive into the city to work every day.  It's super hot but our Ford has some amamzing A/C!  Also, the Spanish here is a lot of slang.  When Elder Sievers and I were in the care driving down to the area he told me that I am going to have trouble because their Spanish is a lot of slang and they don't speak very well themselves haha.  Well he was right, but I have picked up on it and it is great! 
 
There is a dairy farm in our area that we teach at a lot.  We have been teaching all of the workers there and it has been a humbling experience.  Each of them works crazy hours through the night on the dairy and live in trailers on the side of the farm.  They are very receptive to our message and one of our investigators, Luis, has a baptismal date, but it is very hard for them to change and overcome their addictions.  We are trying so hard to help them and I know that the Lord will provide a way for them to overcome them.
 
Thanks to everyone for the support and the love!  I pray for you and hope for the best for each of you!  Read the scriptures and say your prayers!
 
Elder Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment