Tuesday, August 5, 2014

08/04/14 Arizona Sunshine!

Hello everybody!!  It's great to hear from you!  You are all so amazing and I love you so much!  Sounds like picking Conner up was an adventure!  Man that sounds so fun!  Conner really is a powerful guy and I'm glad that you got to see the effect he had on the Chilean people.
I am love the opportunity I have to be a missionary!  Each time I pray I thank my Heavenly Father for this wonderful blessing.  There is nothing else like it.  My companion and I are super blessed to be teaching a lot!  We have a ton of investigators and many times we find ourselves with too much to do in too little time.  Many of the missionaries in the mission aren't as blessed so we count ourselves lucky!
It is really hard to get a set appointment with our investigators.  They don't know their work schedule from day to day and they don't plan anything so we kind of just have to show up.  We keep five fold-out chairs from the chapel in our trunk and we set them up and start teaching on their porches.  They are very humble people but have had really hard lives.  These people have been in and out of prison and are looking for something to guide their lives.  That guide is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 
In my last letter I explained a little bit about the dairy that we teach at.  It's a legitamate dairy farm.  The workers live in trailers on the side of the farm.  I think of dad every time I go there because he always talked about how he wanted to have a dairy farm.  We have five investigators over there and they are all related.  This dairy is infested with mosquitos!  I swear it is the only place in Arizona that is infested with mosquitos!  It is so bad..  I have over thirty mosquito bites on each leg!   They bite right through our shirts and pants, they're some sort of super mosquito haha. I have so gnarly pics but I'm not going to send them because I don't want to gross you out too much.   Anyways, we try so hard to help them, but they just don't progress.  Like this Sunday we drove over there before church to wake them up and make sure they are coming.  We knocked on Luis's door and he was showered and ready to go!  We were so excited and he said he was coming to church. Then he didn't show up and it totally broke our hearts.  All we can do is continue to help them as much as we can.
On Saturday, we visited the home of an investigator that we have had for a while, but this time his son was there!  We were excited and asked him if he wanted to sit in on the lesson with his dad and he said sure.  He didn't seem very interested at first, but as the lesson went on he was excited! Turns out he has a friend on a mission!  We gave the first lesson and he committed to be baptized!  The spirit was so strong!
My time is up and I have to go.  Feed your local missionaries and give them referrals! We have dinner every night at a member's home and they work very closely with us in the missionary efforts.  We are blessed to serve in such a great area.
I send my love from AZ!
Elder Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment